Backcountry skiing La Meije and around La Grave
Do you like making your fresh tracks in great snow? We do too!
Unfortunately, the off-piste routes are tracked faster and faster every year. We suggest finding powder a little further away. Walk a little, put on your skins to find new lines in the best snow.
We’ll use the lifts of course, but thanks to short climbs we can find the longest descents and the least tracked slopes.
Whether on skis or snowboard, the evolution of material means it is now possible to climb with skins and have performance equipment for the descent.
So let yourself be tempted. We take our time skinning up so we are in the right place at the right time for the descent. Go out where the best snow is hiding, enjoy the most beautiful scenery and share it with friends, just for fun, this is the programme!
During your stay in La Grave, one of Snowlegend guides will help you discover the area in a single day with a picnic.
This could be from the Col du Lautaret or one of the stations: Le Chazelet, Serre-Chevalier, Montgenèvre, Pelvoux, Puy Saint Vincent ... to maximise the ratio of climbing to descent.
We will choose the itinerary according to your preferences, your level and conditions.
A few examples:
Le Chazelet is ideal for discovering Free-rando. Starting at Le Chazelet above La Grave, we can get more powdery slopes after only 20-40 minutes of uphill skinning.
Dome du Monêtier (Serre-Chevalier) 800m climb, 2000m descent.
Tour de l’aiguillette du Lauzet, 800m ascent / descent.
Or for strong skiers:
Couloir de la Rouya starting from the Pelvoux, 500m climb, 1500m descent, including the 900m couloir.
Combe du Riou starting from Monêtier les Bains, 800m climb, 2100m descent of which 1200m is the couloir.
|Number of riders||1 à 4||5||6||7|
|Mountain guide price per day||360€||390€||420€||450€|
|join a group of riders||4||5||6|
|Price per rider||95€||85€||75€|
* less 5€ rental skis touring at Snowlegend ski shop !
You get a special prices at Snowlegend shop:
* less 5€ rental skis lagrave freeride Rossignol Series7
* less 5€ rental skiboots Rossignol Alltrack
* less 5€ rental abs la grave Mammut "Avalanche Airbag system".
* less 5€ rental boots Flow double boa, XV binding.
* less 5€ rental snowboards: Pogo, Dupraz, Rossignol.
* less 5€ rental splitboard lagrave XV Rossignol
* Wax, edge, p-tex, less 5€ to 10€ by Mathieu skiman.
* Organic coffee for free.
* Loan of DVA (Avalanche Victim Detector), Element by Mammut (one of the best and easy to use).
* Loan of Rossignol Freeride Helmet (it’s better to wear one), size XS, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, light & comfortable.
* Loan of security bag (25 litres, reinforced back, shovel & probe).
* Loan of harness (compulsory for riding on the glacier area) and very useful for abseiling!
* Possible to leave your gear in the Snowlegend chalet and dry your boots.
These prices don’t include:
* Ski pass, 46€ per day from Snowlegend, normal price 51€.
Reduced price for those less than 25 years old: 39€.
Or buy multi-day ski passes at the desk of the Téléphériques des Glaciers de La Meije:
3 days running or not 147€/49€ per day, 6 days 270€/45€ per day, 10 days 410€/41€, Season pass 889€, Season week 499€
Agreement with Serre Chevalier Valley & Alpe D’Huez: 39€ for day ski pass with your 4 days ski pass or more.
* Lunch at Chancel Refuge - 2508m or Restaurant at the top - 3200m, or in the village - 1450m, depending on the itineraries!
Great value for money! It’s customary to invite your guide for lunch, thank you in advance!
Spoken languages : francais,english,castellano,deutch,italiano